George Jackson began trading from Rathbone Place, near Oxford Circus in London. At that time the Adam brothers’ style of architecture and interior design was central to what became known as the age of elegance.
Jacksons produced reverse cut hardwood timber moulds and pressing out a new material they had brought to Britain called Composition. “Compo”, as it is colloquially known, is a putty-like substance introduced to enable the production of enrichments without using the then long established method of wood carvings.
The first Royal Warrant was issued to Jacksons by George IV in 1826.