Our History: 1850 - 1900

 

The highlight of 1851 was the Crystal Palace Exhibition where Jacksons won two medals: a First class and a Juror’s Medal. On their stand in the mediaeval Court they exhibited a chandelier of sixty lights made in carton Pierre. John Gregory Crace also exhibited a painted arabesque in conjunction with Jackson who made the border of composition ornament.

 

The final association with the Duke of Wellington came in September 1852 for his state funeral, for which an 18-ton carriage drawn by twelve draught horses was commissioned. Jacksons made the models and plaster casts, and provided the gilding.

 

Turning from the fine arts to the performing arts, Jacksons have worked on more than forty theatres in London and the provinces. These included: the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, Savoy Theatre, Haymarket Theatre, the Lyric Theatre, the Comedy Theatre, the Gaiety Theatre and the Royal Italian Opera House in Covent Garden.

 

Museums, art galleries, libraries, universities, asylums and colleges were also decorated by the Jacksons. One such example is the Royal Holloway College, based on the French Chateaux of Chambord, in which Jacksons decorated the ceilings in the Library Museum, Dining Hall and Recreation Hall.

 

John died in 1876, leaving two sons John Junior and Edward Elliot partners in the company up until the early 20th century.

 

In 1890, Queen Victoria commissioned a State Banqueting Hall at Osborne House on the Isle of Wight. This room had a deeply coffered ceiling composed of fibrous plaster . The walls were enriched with plaster whilst the skirtings and dados were made from Honduras mahogany with enrichments in carton Pierre. The decoration included Indian symbols of Gunesha – the Elephant God of good fortune – and a peacock over the chimney-piece and over-mantle (the peacock alone consisted of over 500 hours of work).

 

Between 1892 and 1890 Jacksons enhanced the interiors of several P&O passenger liners. 
-edwardelliot.jpg -johnjunior.jpg
-durbarroom.jpg

 

 

Our History: 1763 - 1850 Our History: 1900-1950