Our History: 1900-1950

 

 

 

In the early 20th Century, Jacksons added to their already comprehensive collection the moulds of two competitors, Plastic Decoration & Papier Mache Co and G & A Brown of Hammersmith, when they both closed their doors.

 

Between 1900 and 1930, over half the world’s ships were built in British shipyards. Jacksons revolutionised the appearance of ocean liners by using fibrous plaster in the interiors. While on contract for Waring and Gillow, they created fifteen of the most magnificent floating hotels. Fibrous plaster was especially useful for these tasks because it can be built up in large units and attached to a structure at relatively few points. Ships of note include the Corinthia, Franconia, the Laconia, the Mauretania, the Lusitania and the Queen Mary.

 

The Automobile Association headquarters in the West End was fitted out with carved walnut wall panelling and fibrous plaster ceilings.

 

In 1910, Jacksons became a limited company.

 

In 1915 Jacksons worked on the plasterwork for the drawing room of Broome Park, owned by Lord Kitchener. The original drawings for this project now reside in the V&A Archives.

 

In the early 1920s, Jacksons were responsible for the carved wood panelling and plasterwork around the fireplace in the fashionable Kit-Kat club in the West End.

 

From 1922 – 1926 Harrow School erected a War Memorial building in memory of their Old Boys; Jacksons provided the ornamental ceiling.

 

In 1924, Jacksons provided a fibrous plaster ceiling, cornice and columns to complement the painted ceiling in the Restaurant of Peter Robinson, one of the first large shops to open on Oxford Street.

 

During the General Strike of 1926, Mr Jackson still paid his employees, and in that same year he was made Master of the Guild of Painters and Stainers.

 

G Jackson and Sons Ltd were one of the first firms to enter into the acoustic field in theatres and cinemas, with a form of blanketed seaweed inside panelled plasterwork, the object being to project sound waves from the stage to the auditorium. The plasterwork often portrayed Egyptian figures and birds.

 

In 1929 Edward Francis Jackson travelled to Havana to organise and set up a workshop and office for the decoration of the Capitol (Government House). Jacksons were sub-contracted to Waring and Gillow, who supplied the furniture and fittings.

 

In 1938 Jacksons worked on the ceilings of the Ballroom, Drawing Room, Library and Morning Room at Bletchley Park, famous for the code-breaking efforts undertaken there during the second world war.

 

In 1947, Edward Francis (the final director) sold the firm to Harry Leighton of Fenning and Co. Ltd, and died three years later. 

-corinthia.jpg -laconia.jpg
-bletchleypark.jpg

 

Our History: 1850 - 1900 Our History: 1950 - Present Day